4 Questions




I saw this sign on the wall of one of the buildings in the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Garden in Vancouver. Since the picture's not that great, here's what it says...

The Four-Way Test of the things we think, say or do

1. Is it the TRUTH?

2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?

3. Will it build GOODWILL and better FRIENDSHIPS?

4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

I think this is a great list. I try to ask myself these questions when making a decision, although I don't necessarily do it systematically. Maybe I should try to keep these questions in my head?


I recall a conversation with a colleague last fall when he was having some issues with his students, his colleagues, his classmates, and his teachers. I basically asked him these questions. He was very concerned with answering #1, but he tended to ignore #3 and #4. And the saddest part was that he did not understand why they were important.

I wonder what would happen if more people asked these questions. But since I can't change the world, maybe I should start with myself.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
I write about whatever...life, education, diabetes, family, pets, church, God, and whatever else comes to mind.

    Some Things That Make Me Happy


    (1) learning
    (2) family
    (3) barney
    (4) food
    (5) school
    (6) music
    (7) adoption
    (8) Doctor Who
    (9) worship
    (10) baking
    (11) reading
    (12) Quantum Leap
    (13) chocolate Irish cream cheesecake
    (14) scrapbooking
    (15) cake decorating
    (16) Star Trek
    (17) Craig Ferguson
    (18) British TV
    (19) gooey butter cake
    (20) crunchy onions
    (21) traveling



Recent Comments