RIP Mildred Loving

I have to admit, I don't remember ever hearing of Mildred Loving before today. But when I read of her death in this article, I found myself sad that I had never heard her story until now. In 1958 Mildred Loving married the love of her life, completely unaware of the fact that their marriage was illegal. You see, Mildred was black, and her husband Richard was white. Their interracial marriage was against the law in 17 states. This led to an arrest, a trial, and, eventually, the driving out of the couple from their home state. The story of Mildred and Richard is inspiring and gives me hope that true love does exist in the world.

she never wanted to be a hero — just a bride


So rest in peace, Mildred Loving. Thank you for standing up for love.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
I write about whatever...life, education, diabetes, family, pets, church, God, and whatever else comes to mind.

    Some Things That Make Me Happy


    (1) learning
    (2) family
    (3) barney
    (4) food
    (5) school
    (6) music
    (7) adoption
    (8) Doctor Who
    (9) worship
    (10) baking
    (11) reading
    (12) Quantum Leap
    (13) chocolate Irish cream cheesecake
    (14) scrapbooking
    (15) cake decorating
    (16) Star Trek
    (17) Craig Ferguson
    (18) British TV
    (19) gooey butter cake
    (20) crunchy onions
    (21) traveling



Recent Comments