Book Review: The Apprentice



I haven't finished this book yet, but I have read enough of Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice to know that I love this book! From Pepin's childhood summers spent on country farms to his apprenticeship and work in some of the best hotel kitchens in France to a stint cooking for Charles DeGaulle and then finally his adventures in America, I was completely taken by this story. I found myself amused as I read about Pepin's exploits as a young apprentice and amazed as I read about his experiences cooking for important French and international officials.

I was especially taken by the author's descriptions of food. Though I wouldn't want to find myself cooking--or even eating--most of the dishes Pepin described, his culinary sketches show such a true love of food that it is hard not to smile and imagine myself at one of his events.



Equally engaging were Pepin's stories of his life in America. As a chef in Howard Johnson's test kitchen, Pepin was instrumental in the success of chain restaurants in the United States. I celebrated with the chef as he fell in love and started a family. And there were always those amazing descriptions of food and feasts with friends and family.

I think the thing I liked most about this book was that throughout the book I got the impression that Jacques Pepin is really a nice man. Pepin became acquainted with some of the most influential people in the food industry--chefs, critics, restauranteurs, publishers--and befriended nearly all of them. He managed to become a celebrity chef before there was such a thing as celebrity chefs with a combination of talent, hard work, luck, tenacity, and a good nature. Overall, this book is engaging, entertaining, mouth-watering, and quite delightful. I recommend this book to anyone who loves food and a good story.

posted under , , , , |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
I write about whatever...life, education, diabetes, family, pets, church, God, and whatever else comes to mind.

    Some Things That Make Me Happy


    (1) learning
    (2) family
    (3) barney
    (4) food
    (5) school
    (6) music
    (7) adoption
    (8) Doctor Who
    (9) worship
    (10) baking
    (11) reading
    (12) Quantum Leap
    (13) chocolate Irish cream cheesecake
    (14) scrapbooking
    (15) cake decorating
    (16) Star Trek
    (17) Craig Ferguson
    (18) British TV
    (19) gooey butter cake
    (20) crunchy onions
    (21) traveling



Recent Comments