Inspiration . . .



I recently learned about Randy Pausch. Apparently, I'm late in this discovery, since Randy Pausch was recently selected (on Beliefnet.com) as the most inspirational person of 2008. He made a speech in September of 2007 that was titled "Achieving Your Childhood Dreams." Video of what came to be known as The Last Lecture spread all over, and millions of people considered Dr. Pausch's approach to life and death inspirational. There's some info on Dr. Pausch here. I finally got around to watching the whole lecture, and I must admit that it was pretty cool.

I suppose everyone who watches the lecture or who reads the book gets something different from it. For example, I'm sure that the teaching part isn't what necessarily appealled to the majority of people, but it's definitely something that jumped out at me. It reminded me of how much I love being a teacher, how blessed I am to be a teacher, and how important it is that I share this blessing with the world.

Still, I wasn't as super-inspired as people seemed to have been by the words of Dr. Pausch. Not that it wasn't good . . . it was good and inspiring. And I highly recommend watching the video, if you have 1-1/4 hours to spare.

Dr. Pausch gives a lot of good advice, and there are many lessons to be learned. The one I will take for 2009 is this: Am I a Tigger or an Eeyore? As most of you know, I tend toward the Eeyore side. But I'm trying to change that--really. I honestly don't think I have to be a Tigger all of the time. That would madden me AND everyone I meet. But I think there's room for more Tigger and less Eeyore in my life. :D

As I said before, it's a good lecture. It may make you cry. If you do watch it, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home
I write about whatever...life, education, diabetes, family, pets, church, God, and whatever else comes to mind.

    Some Things That Make Me Happy


    (1) learning
    (2) family
    (3) barney
    (4) food
    (5) school
    (6) music
    (7) adoption
    (8) Doctor Who
    (9) worship
    (10) baking
    (11) reading
    (12) Quantum Leap
    (13) chocolate Irish cream cheesecake
    (14) scrapbooking
    (15) cake decorating
    (16) Star Trek
    (17) Craig Ferguson
    (18) British TV
    (19) gooey butter cake
    (20) crunchy onions
    (21) traveling



Recent Comments